Monday, February 6, 2012

40 Calorie Chocolate Mint "Ice Cream"


Do you ever have days when you just need something sweet? I had one of those days yesterday. It was a gorgeous day where I live, we did a bunch of yard work in the morning and then the boys in my family headed out to a friends house to watch the Superbowl while my daughter and I watched the puppy bowl at home. While watching it, I got a hankering for something sweet. I could have a cup of almond milk hot chocolate which usually does the trick but I wanted something with a little more substance so I decided to make the almond milk hot chocolate, add a dash of mint extract and freeze it all so that in the end I could blend it up into and "ice" cream for dessert. Now I say "ice" cream because that is really what it is, pulverized flavored ice, but it did the trick for my sweet tooth for only 40 calories so I can't complain. Well to be honest about 20 calories because I only ate half of the batch, the rest is waiting in the freezer for another day when the sweet tooth needs to be fed.

This is pretty easy, the hardest part is waiting for it to freeze.


Ingredients
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 tsp cacao powder
few drops of mint extract
few drops of stevia

How to




Measure out 1 cup of almond milk and warm in the microwave for about a minute, warming the milk is optional, I just find that the cacao powder dissolves into the milk easier if it is warm.

Add in your cacao powder, mint extract, and stevia and stir until it is all combined.


When combined pour into ice trays and freeze.


When the cubes are frozen remove from the freezer and put into the microwave for 15 to 20 seconds just to soften a bit.

Add the cubes into your blender and pulverize the heck out of them. If your cubes were soft enough, you should see something like ice cream in your blender. If it looks more like ice crystals, add just a smidgen of almond milk and blend again. If by accident you put in to much milk, you can simply put it into the freezer to harden a bit.



Top with a sprinkling of cacao powder and enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I just started Primary and was wondering how to fit in desserts, such as this one and also the puddings in the back of the PINK book.

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MJ,

      I would say that most desserts should not really be incorporated until you are in preservation. Use them sparingly if you are still working your way through the phases. Obviously if you are feeling like I must have something sweet or I am going to cheat big time, it is better to have a "healthy" dessert over say cake or cookies but do use them sparingly. Hope that helps. -Emily

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...