Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Orange Julius Smoothie (Pink Style)


Oh, Orange Julius and their famous Orange Smoothies. They take me back to being a teenager and hanging out at the mall, getting and Orange Julius drink was a must while I was there with my friends. As I was out walking the dog after my workout, I was thinking about making my shake and  had a brilliant idea. Why don't I sub out the strawberries in PINK Drink #1 for and orange? I wasn't sure it would be approved but after looking in the book at the approved list of slow fruits and seeing that the Pina Colada with a Side of Green Smoothie in the back of the book had a half of an orange in it, I was pretty sure it would be okay. I wondered how the calorie count would change and discovered that a cup of strawberries has 53 calories while a small orange has 63, ten more calories was no big deal to me so I decided I had to try it and it was good!

Orange Julius Smoothie Pink Style
1 cup almond or coconut milk
1 scoop protein powder (I use the 365 whey protein powder from Whole Foods, 80 calories a scoop)
1 orange peeled and wedges seperated
1/2 cup ice

Put it all in your blender and blend until smooth. If you want a thicker smoothie, add more ice.


As you can see there are little black seeds in my smoothie, those are chia seeds. I add them mostly as a way to add in some Omega 3's and to help with my fiber intake, the absorb 8-10 times their weight in water and help me to feel fuller longer. I also used them to make this strawberry chia seed jam awhile ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...