Thursday, February 9, 2012

Shepard's Pie


Let me ask you a question, "Would you like some Shepard's pie?" If you are following the P.I.N.K method your answer should be, "Oh gosh, I would love some but I am trying to change my eating habits and I don't think all the mashed potatoes would fit into my eating plan." To which I would reply, "Oh you can have this Shepard's pie, it is 100% P.I.N.K friendly" Then you would come over and give me big hug because I gave you yet another meal that will become a favorite.

Seriously, you can have Shepard's pie both on reset and while in the primary phases. So how will we make this P.I.N.K friendly? First we will replace the potatoes on the top with mashed cauliflower (have you tried mashed cauliflower? It really is good.) Second, instead of making a gravy out using flour, we are just going to leave it out and let the sauce reduce and thicken slightly on it's own. So you do want to know how to make it? Well continue reading and I'll tell you how.

PINK friendly Shepard's Pie
1 1/2 lb. of meat (use what you like, traditionally it is made with ground beef, I used cubed pork tenderloin)
3 cups mixed vegetables (use what you like, I used onions, carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper)
1 small sweet potato (only use this if you are in one of the primary phases, if you1 are on reset leave it out.)
1 1/2 cup low organic low sodium beef broth (really you should make your own but I didn't have the time)
1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. of Mrs. Dash original blend seasoning

Mashed Cauliflower
2 cups mashed cauliflower
2 tsp. nutritional yeast
1 tsp. of Mrs. Dash original blend seasoning

Optional (if you are making an original version for your family)
3 cups mashed potatoes
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese


How to make




Start by chopping up all your meat and vegetables including the cauliflower.


Then steam your cauliflower, I used about 1/2 head of cauliflower.
While the cauliflower is steaming, brown your meat.
When the meat is brown add the remaining vegetables to the pot and allow to soften.




Add the low sodium beef stock and the tomato paste to the vegetables and meat, let simmer until the liquid is reduced and thickened slightly.



While the sauce is thickening, puree your cooked cauliflower in a blender with the nutritional yeast and Mrs. Dash. If your cauliflower doesn't blend up completely to a mashed potato consistency, add a little bit of the liquid it steamed in but be careful not to add to much, you aren't making soup.


Take out your portion of meat and vegetables from the main pot, at this point since I am on phase 1 I also added some sweet potato to my mixture as my slow carb. If you are on reset, just leave it out. I removed 2 portions so I could have a serving for tomorrow since Friday in our house is pizza night, my dinner will be made and I will be less likely to cheat if I can just pull it out to eat.


Top them with your cauliflower puree, I also sprinkled a little more nutritional yeast on top of my puree before it went into the oven to bake.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.


Note: You will have a lot of meat and vegetables left once you remove your portion, this will be what your family will eat. Put what is left in a separate pan and top it with mashed potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese, then bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. This is the more traditional way to make a Shepard's pie and I am sure your family will love it. You also could do half mashed cauliflower and half mashed potato, your family will never know that you have hidden more vegetables in their meal plus it will cut the calories way down. .

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm on reset. What would you consider a portion? I can't wait to try this this week!

    Not sure if the family will like it, but I love that you gave the alternate way to make it. I will pull out my portion (or two) and then finish theirs with potatoes and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, Thank you for the comment, I am glad you found me too!
      As for portion size, here is how I figure it out. If you are using 1 1/2 lbs. of meat, you have 24 ounces of meat, on PINK as you know a serving is 4 ounces. So if you divide your total meat (24 oz.) by your serving (4 oz.) you should get six servings out of your meal. Great, I needed to feed 4 people the regular pie and get 2 servings of the PINK pie for myself, six servings total. So I just divided the pot into sixth and scooped out 1/6 into each of my servings and saved the remaining for my family. I know not scientific but a good way to measure. If you really want to be scientific you can, just pick out your meat and measure it on your scale but only measure about 3.5 ounces of meat since the 4 ounce weight is supposed to raw meat not cooked and then add in as many vegetables from the pot as you want, those quantities are unlimited. I hope that helps, I know it is a long explanation. I have been emailed this question a lot so I might edit the recipe to try to explain.

      Delete
  2. I think I love you. THANK YOU for posting the link to your Valentine's Day recipes on the forum! This blog is JUST what I needed to get out of my roasted cauliflower rut. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, thanks for checking out the blog, I hope that the recipes are helpful. Though I must admit, I do love roasted cauliflower also.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...