Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chunky Chili


Brrr....it has been cold here the last few days. We got a little bit of snow which was fun but snow always sends me into play then hibernation mode. I want play outside with the kids and then stay inside to cook and eat. I want to soups, stew, chowders, basically anything that will warm my to the core. Most of my typical recipes are out so I had to come up with something that will meet the PINK reset guidelines. Chunky Chili fit the bill for me but the rest of the family, my kids specifically won't eat chili with lots of chunky vegetables in it so here is how you can make Chunky Chili for those following PINK and regular chili for the rest of the family.

Items needed for both types of chili
1 20 ounce package of ground turkey
1 28 ounce can of diced or whole tomatoes no salt added
1 can of tomato paste (no sugar or salt added)
2 cans of beans,  (use any variety or mix you like, I used pinto and kidney)
water
diced onions
shredded carrots
shredded zucchini (for the Chunky Chili, I cut my zucchini into chunks, the regular chili got it shredded)

Vegetables to add to the Chunky Chili
mushrooms
cauliflower
green peppers

Chili Seasoning
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon pepper

  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Directions for Chunky Chili
Start out by browning the ground turkey until it is cooked through. I add a little bit of garlic powder and pepper to the meat for added flavor. When it is done, get out you handy scale and measure out 2 ounces of meat. 

Next open and rinse your beans I used pinto and kidney beans. To your 2 ounces of ground turkey add 6 ounces of beans. I am making a double batch so that I have enough for lunch the next day On reset we are allowed 4 ounces of meat for lunch and 4 ounces for dinner, beans and meat are allowed but only 4 ounces thus I have a total of 8 ounces measured, enough protein for two meals, got it? 


Add in other vegetables along with your meat and beans. Add in about a third of your 28 ounce can of tomatoes and a third of your can of tomato paste and a third of your chili seasoning. Add in a little water to make it soupy and let it simmer until the vegetables soften and the liquid thickens and enjoy. Remember this is enough for 2 meals so save half for lunch tomorrow.



Directions for family friendly Chili
To the remaining ground turkey after you have removed your 2 ounces, add in some diced onions and saute until soft. 

To the meat and onion mixture add in what is remaining from your 2 cans of beans, your tomatoes and your tomato paste, chili spices, your shredded carrots and zucchini and a little bit of water to make it soupy. This is really just dumping in what is remaining after you have made your Chunky Chili. I shred the vegetables in this chili just to give a little hidden vegi's to the kids. They are pretty good about eating fruits and vegi's but a few more won't hurt them, plus they virtually disappear when they are cooked into the chili.


Cook until the chili has thickened and let your family enjoy.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...