Saturday, March 17, 2012

Fried "rice"


Have I told you all about my love of Chinese food? Yeah, it pretty much rocks my world. As a matter of fact my first "official" job at the ripe old age of 14 was as a waitress in a Chinese food restaurant. I know that was young to get a job as a waitress but my friend's parent owned the restaurant and I would hang out there all the time and just help out so as soon as I was old enough to legally be employed I had a job. I guess my love of Chinese food runs deep huh?

This recipe is special though because it doesn't actually have rice in it. How do you make fried rice without rice you ask? Well with the most versatile vegetable in the world, cauliflower. Yep cauliflower not only does it make a knock out replacement for potatoes but it also makes a great replacement for rice, let me show you how. 

Fried "Rice" (makes 2 generous meal size servings or 4 side servings)
1/2 head of cauliflower
peas/snap peas (I used both)
carrots
1/4 of an onion
Canadian Bacon or cooked diced chicken (optional, I ate this as a meal so I added in Canadian bacon for my protein but if you are serving this as a side dish, just leave out the protein)
1 egg
dash of almond milk
1/2 tsp minced garlic
green onions or chives
1-2 tbsp of low sodium soy or Bragg's Aminos
Olive oil

Method 
Start by making scrambled eggs by adding a little almond milk to an egg and whisking together.
Ignore my pan, I burnt the crud out of it the other day, it is ugly but still usable
Cook your egg until it is scrambled, then remove from the pan and set a side until later.
Remove the florets from the head of cauliflower and add the florets to the blender or food processor
Pulse until the cauliflower resembles rice
Chop your carrots, green onions, onion, garlic and snap peas if you are using them
Saute them in a mist of olive oil until they begin to soften
When they soften slightly add another mist of olive oil to your pan then add in your cauliflower "rice" and cooked chicken or Canadian bacon
Continue to cook until the cauliflower has softened and cooked through, then add in your scrambled egg and green onions

Stir to combine and then add in your Bragg's or low sodium soy sauce to the mixture. I actually used half and half, 1 tbsp Bragg's 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce.
Serve and Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. There are some attention-grabbing deadlines in this article however I don’t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There's some validity but I will take maintain opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as well slots for real money

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...