Thursday, April 12, 2012

BBQ Green Chili Chicken

Here is Oregon, we were treated to some pretty good weather over the weekend which gave me the itch for BBQ. I love BBQ, I love the sweet tangy sauce and the act of cooking outdoors. However, BBQ sauce in the traditional sense is full of sugar and salt which is a big no, no on the PINK method. When I got around to it this week, I decided to try to create my own BBQ sauce that is PINK friendly. Unfortunately, by the time I got around to making a BBQ sauce, it was raining again here in Oregon so I had to cook indoors and come up with a Tex-Mex BBQ fusion which turned out great.

PINK Friendly BBQ Sauce (makes about 2 cups)
1/2 sweet onion chopped
3-4 medjool dates
3-4 garlic cloves chopped
1/2 cup water
1 6 ounce can tomato paste
3 tbsp yellow mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2-3 tbsp liquid smoke (I use the Stubb's brand, mesquite flavor)
Salt and Pepper to taste
water to thin the sauce if needed, I ended up adding about 3/4 cup

Method
Add the chopped onions, Medjool dates, garlic and 1/2 cup water to a bowl and microwave for about 3 minutes until the onions and dates soften.
Add the onion and date mixture to the blender and blend until a smooth puree is formed
Add the onion puree, tomato paste, mustard, liquid smoke, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to a sauce pan

Stir to combine, at this point if the sauce is super thick, add more water to it until you get a BBQ sauce consistency, like I said above I added about 3/4 cup of water but only add 1/4 cup at a time because you don't want it to get to soupy. At this point if you like a super sweet BBQ sauce, you could add a few stevia drops, I like mine more tangy so the sweetness from the dates was a perfect sweetness level for me.
Turn heat on medium and cook the sauce until it has thickened slightly and all the flavors have married. Turn off the heat and let cool. At this point you can put it in the refrigerator and save for about a week, using it whenever you BBQ.

BBQ Green Chili Chicken (Serves 5)
5 boneless skinless chicken breasts weighing about 4 ounces each (truth be told mine were about 5 1/2 ounces)
1/2 sweet onion sliced
1 can roasted green chilis
1/2 cup PINK Friendly BBQ sauce

Method
Trim your chicken breasts of any fat and using a knife you are going to cut into the chicken breast as if you were filleting it but do not cut all the way through, you just want to create a pocket to hold the onion and green chili mixture.
When the chicken is prepped, add the onion and green chilies to a saute misted with a little olive oil.
Cook until the onions have softened and browned slightly.
Take the onion/chili mixture and stuff it into the pockets you created in the chicken breasts.
Brown the stuffed chicken breasts in the pan you sauteed the onions in.
Top the chicken breasts with a smear of BBQ sauce
Bake in a 350 degree oven until the chicken has cooked all the way through, about 15 minutes or so depending on how thick your chicken breasts are.
I served mine along side some mashed baked sweet potato, steamed broccoli and carrots.

Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Emily,
    I have to say: You are a genius!! I started PINK 3 weeks ago and your recipes are a life saver!!
    This recipe is fabulous. When I made the BBQ sauce...I thought it was just "ok"...but on that chicken it was awesome! I can't wait to get some chicken going on the grill with that sauce!
    Again, thank you so much! Your blog is playing a tremendous role in my success on the P.I.N.K. Method. Please, Please, Please....keep the posts coming!
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...