Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Harvest Salad

When I told my hubby about salad week here at "Losin' it" he said you must post your harvest salad recipe. It is his absolute favorite salad, yes I had to modify a little bit because the original recipe calls for feta cheese which PINK asks you to avoid. Even without the feta it is spectacular. Most people when told about the salad crinkle their nose slightly due to the long list of items in the salad but every time I bring it to a potluck or party I am inevitably asked for the recipe. What is so great about it is you eat it and feel satisfied like you ate a meal instead of just a salad. Try it and let me know what you think.

Everything but the Kitchen Sink Harvest Salad (makes 2 large salads)
4 ounces chopped cooked chicken
1 hard boiled egg
4-5 cups lettuce (I used romaine but use what you like best)
1 chopped tomato
1 chopped apple
4 mushrooms sliced
1/4 of a red onion chopped
2-3 tbsp raisins or dried cranberries (choose if you want to use, I know dried fruit can be high in sugar. I chose to use because I was only having half of an apple when we are allowed a whole apple and I used so little but it is your choice)
2-3 tbsp chopped raw almonds (again choose to use if you want, almonds are a protein and with 2 ounces of chicken and 1/2 of an egg, you are technically getting your allotment of protein for the meal, but I often add an ounce or two more protein in a day which the PINK method book says is okay to do if you feel you need it.)

Balsamic Dijon Dressing
2 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
2 tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp. Olive oil

Method
Chop and cook your chicken, be sure to include enough seasoning to flavor your chicken, I used pepper and an herb and garlic flavored Mrs. Dash
Chop and wash your lettuce
Chop your apples, tomato, onion, mushrooms and egg
Make your dressing by adding your oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard to a bowl and whisking together until it is combined and in consistency.

To serve make a bed of lettuce on two plates and top with the apples, onions, mushrooms, tomato, chicken and egg. Sprinkle the almonds and raisins or cranberries over the salad and drizzle with your dressing.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...