Monday, February 20, 2012

Thai Chicken Soup


Have you been sitting in the passenger seat of you life lately? I know weird question but one that I found the answer to yesterday when we, took a little trip up to Mt. Hood to do some sledding as a family. You see we didn't go to a sledding hill that has one of those tow rope things, no you have to hike your bottom up to the top of the hill to sled down and then hike back up again. It was no small hill either, sure there were smaller ones but my family didn't want to sled down the small hill, no they wanted to do the "big" hill. My family hiked up and down the hill a few times and I sat and watched as they went up and down, when it occurred to me that this is a pattern in my life, I am always watching other people as they have fun and not participating. I thought to myself, why am I not sledding with my kids and husband? Well, there is that giant hill, there is one reason why I am not sledding. I wasn't sledding for fear that I couldn't get up that giant hill, I was using my weight to determine whether I could or should have fun. I was sitting in the passenger seat allowing this precious moment with my family pass me by. 
Me being a passenger
I made a choice then and there that I was no longer going to be a passenger, I have sat for to long and let life pass me by. I don't want to be the mom that can't be active with her kids any longer. I want my kids to remember a mom who took risks and had fun with them. I got up and started climbing that hill. Guess what, I climbed the hill to the top, the entire hill. I was only intending to climb about half way and sled down but I made it up the entire hill, yep I did. Not once, not twice but probably 5 or 6 times. I could have and would have done more but by the time I finally decided to stop being a passenger, the day was more than half over. Boy was it fun! Please stop being the passenger in your life, take control and don't let the negative thoughts determine what you can and can't do!

Me in the driver's seat!

On to today's recipe, Thai chicken soup! This is a great recipe with loads of flavor and one that you could add in any number of vegetables to make it your own. Yes, I believe it is reset friendly, (you make the choice regarding the curry paste) and one you could also leave out the chicken of and have it as a snack any time you get hungry. 

Thai Chicken Soup
4 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast
3 cups chopped vegetables (I used onion, carrot, broccoli, cabbage, mushrooms)
1 tbsp chopped basil
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp chopped ginger
1 tbsp Thai red curry paste
2 cups water
1 zucchini, cut into noodles (optional)

Method
Brown your chicken in a pot with a mist of olive oil or coconut oil


Remove your chicken from the pan and add in your aromatic vegetables. Those would be your onions, carrots, garlic, and ginger.


Add your chicken back into the pan


Add the remaining vegetables, the water and the Thai red curry paste to your pan and stir to combine. 

Simmer until the vegetables have softened.


When the soup is done add in a squirt of lime juice to the soup. Yes, I used a bottled lime juice and I know a real lime would be much better but I didn't have one.


Turn your zucchini into noodles if you so choose. I use the Saladacco to make my zucchini into noodles.


Spoon your soup over your zucchini noodles.


Enjoy!

Remember don't be a passenger today!




5 comments:

  1. What a great post Emily! I will definitely be trying this recipe out as I absolutely LOVE soups. I have a roasted red pepper one I'll be sharing too that is totally pink friendly! Sledding sounds like such fun...I'm glad you didn't let it pass you by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita,

      I would love to try out your roasted red pepper soup,that sounds great!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll send you the soup recipe. Was going to ask if we could substitute cellophane noodles but then looked up the info on them...def NOT low carb or low-cal. 491 calories per cup. The net carbs are fairly low but still...found my answer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anita, I would have to agree, cellophane noodles are a no right now. Of course you could add in some brown rice if you wanted and are in the primary phase. I made this while on the 4 day reset before phases so no carbs for me but I bet it would be great with brown rice. Kind of like a Thai Chicken and Rice soup.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...